miércoles, 18 de enero de 2012

I'M A LITTLE GREEN

In the last two or three years, I’ve incorporated some green practices into my habits. The first step, was buying a bycicle with some savings I had in those times. I started visiting my friends and some places quite close to my home, but unfortunately, I couldn’t use my bike to go to the university… it was not because the university is far from home, it was because the road is dangerous; motorists, taxi and bus drivers usually don’t respect bike riders, and Santiago doesn’t have enough cycling paths either. Besides, there’s too many people who uses the cycling paths for jogging or walking… So I use public transportation daily, and in some special occasions I use my car, though I try not to do it.
Another green practice I’ve incorporated into my life and into my family practices, is making “eco-bricks”; it consists in taking empty (and dry) plastic bottles and fill them with inorganic waste. Eco-bricks are a construction materials, and also they can be thermal and acoustic insulators… and they’re very easy to make! There are some “green points” in Santiago where you can take your eco-bricks: my favorite is the one at Gabriela Mistral Cultural Center (GAM), right in the heart of downtown.
To finish, I’d ike to add that I’ve been a Greenpeace member for one year; basically, it consists in making a monthly money contribution, at the same time that Greenpeace informs me –and all their members- all the things they’re working at. I would like to take a more active participation, but I really don’t have enought time, at least for now.
Here I attach some pictures related to this post :)

A tree in the middle of the cycling path



A small construction made with eco-bricks.

2 comentarios:

  1. wuaau! eco-bricks! I like original things, overcoat if those things are ecological. But its true! In Santiago there aren't enough bike paths, so is very unconfortable and dangerous ride on bike in this city.
    See you tomorrow!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi!! You're right, there aren't enough paths for riders, that's really sad. The picture you put of the three in the middle of the cycling path is like a joke.

    Well, you're truly green! haha, that's realyy good, we should care more for our planet.

    See you :)

    ResponderEliminar